Fire destroys home on 16th Avenue, and other Creston Fire Rescue news

Web Lead

  • Mon Oct 29th, 2012 12:00pm
  • News

A hectic week for Creston Fire Rescue peaked Oct. 23 when a house on 16th Avenue North was razed.

The resident family escaped without harm from a blaze that was called in at about 6:20 a.m.

“Upon arrival of the fire department, flames were coming from several windows, threatening the house next door,” said deputy fire Chief Michael Moore. “Fire crews were able to control the fire quickly to prevent damage to the neighbouring homes and finally extinguished the blaze after approximately two hours.”

The cause of the blaze was determined to be accidental, with damage estimated at $350,000.

“The occupants were very fortunate to have been awoken,” Moore said in reference to smoke alarms not being installed due to recent renovations in the home. “Smoke alarms are the most important item in your home to ensure you get out alive.”

Donation collection efforts for the residents are underway and items can be dropped off at Sunset Seed on Canyon Street.

Other Creston Fire Rescue activity recently:

•Later, on the same day as the house fire, crews were called to help get out a trapped occupant of an elevator at Creston and District Community Complex.

•At about 7 a.m. on Oct. 24, fire personnel were summoned to a two-car collision on Canyon Street and Fifth Avenue. One occupant was transported to hospital by BC Ambulance with minor injuries while the driver of the other vehicle did not require assistance.

•On Oct. 25, at 3:30 a.m., firefighters were called to a possible structure fire on 10th Avenue North where smoke was visible in the home. They quickly determined the source of the smoke was an electrical fire on the furnace in the basement.

“This fire was detected very quickly from smoke alarms, keeping the damage very minimal,” Moore.

The damage was under $500.

•Moore credited a vigilant neighbour on Lower Wynndel Road for reporting a possible fire in a residence across the street. It was determined that the smoke was actually steam coming from the dryer vent on the home before firefighters arrived, however.

Moore recommends that as winter descends, residents should ensure furnaces and fireplaces are maintained and cleaned. They should be checked to ensure that combustible materials like storage boxes and clothing are not stored near baseboard heaters or other heating devices.

Smoke alarms should be tested and batteries replaced as necessary. Testing can be done by blowing out a lit candle and holding it near the detector.

“Your life may depend on it,” Moore said.