Trafalgar Middle School’s planned closure is now being reviewed by School District 8. File photo

SD8 rethinking closure of Trafalgar Middle School

The district says public consultations are meant to find alternative solutions

Plans to tear down Trafalgar Middle School are being reconsidered by School District 8.

Michael McLellan, the district’s secretary-treasurer and chief financial officer, told the Star the previous facilities plan in 2016 calling for Trafalgar’s closure and replacement with a new South Nelson Elementary is under review because the district is not sure it will obtain capital funding from the Ministry of Education.

“The premise for the Trafalgar school being torn down and replaced by a new South Nelson was predicated on the belief that when that earlier facilities plan was done there would be replacement funding under a different envelope of funding. It doesn’t look like to be available right now,” said McLellan.

“We might be looking at alternative plans for Trafalgar like renovating it or other things, and of course we want public input on that process as well for what might be done instead of tearing it down and rebuilding it.”

The first round of public consultation earlier this year was aimed at finding solutions for the aging schools, with more public meetings planned for the summer as part of the district’s 2019-29 facilities plan.

Trafalgar, which opened in 1928, was originally scheduled for closure by June 2017. All Nelson elementary schools were to be converted to carry kindergarten to Grade 7, and L.V. Rogers would be changed to include Grades 8 to 12. Salmo Elementary was also set to close and fold into Salmo Secondary.

The district has, however, been given the green light by the ministry to develop plans for a possible expansion to Blewett Elementary.

McLelland said Blewett is at 147 per cent capacity, and internal projections show the school’s catchment’s population will continue to grow. He cautioned, however, that the expansion, as it was with the facilities plan, is not a given without provincial funding.

“There’s no guarantee, but it’s the next step and a very important step toward ultimately getting ministry approval for the project.”

Meanwhile, the district announced Monday that it had received $2.4 million in provincial funding. The money will be used to upgrade windows and doors at Hume Elementary, upgrade a dust collector at LVR and renovate floors at various schools.

SD8 is also receiving seven new buses as part of a $13 million provincial funding plan that is adding 81 new buses across B.C.

Related:

Kootenay Lake school district delays closures

12 things you (probably) didn’t know about Nelson’s Trafalgar school



tyler.harper@nelsonstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Public art committee thrives

No news is good news for the Creston Valley Public Art Connection.… Continue reading

Lister celebrates centennial in June with weekend event

Past and present Lister residents are invited to take part in the celebration.

LETTER: We are committed to the valley’s fruit growers

Honey Bee Zen Apiaries Ltd., can assure orchardists that we will be able to pollinate large portion orchards.

Creston Museum gets multiculturalism grant

A $4,000 multiculturalism grant will allow the Creston Museum to celebrate the… Continue reading

Cheetahs will not prosper in Creston: permit rejected for two big cats

Earl Pfeifer owns two cheetahs, one of which escaped in December 2015

Edmonton judge rules Omar Khadr’s sentence has expired

Eight-year sentence imposed in 2010 would have ended last October had Khadr remained in custody

B.C. river cleanup crew finds bag of discarded sex toys

Chilliwack volunteers stumble on unexpected find while removing 600 lbs of trash from riverway

Trudeau sells housing plan in visit to hot real estate market in B.C.

Trudeau said the budget contains measures to help first-time buyers

Norway opens probe into why cruise ship ventured into storm

The Viking Sky was headed for southern Norway when it had engine problems on Saturday afternoon

Fired B.C. farmland commission chair backs NDP rule changes

Richard Bullock agrees with Lana Popham, ALC records don’t

Michael Dunahee’s disappearance remains the largest probe in Victoria police history

The four-year old Victoria boy went missing without a trace on March 24, 1991

Kamloops chamber of commerce director let go after controversial Facebook posts

Facebook account had derogatory comments about Muslims, Justin Trudeau

B.C. RCMP officer cleared after Taser incident seriously injures woman

Woman with knives refused to comply with orders therefore officer used appropriate level of force

‘Bikinishe’ swimwear retailer prompts Better Business Bureau warning

Watchdog has gotten dozens of complaints about company, which has been using fake Vancouver address

Most Read