Relocated Kimberley clients return home

Interior Health’s care patients who had been temporarily relocated were moved back home on Sept. 5

With the rescinding of the evacuation alert for Kimberley on Sept. 4, the people in Interior Health’s care patients who had been temporarily relocated were moved back home on Sept. 5.

On Aug. 17, wildfire activity near Kimberley resulted in an Evacuation Alert from the Regional Kootenay District. To ensure their continued safety, residents of the Kimberley Special Care Home (KSH) and Garden View Village, along with some vulnerable home health clients, were temporarily relocated. The move involved coordination and help from many facilities, businesses, and community members. While some people were able to stay with family and friends, 53 clients were temporarily moved into the F.W. Green Home in Cranbrook and 13 were in surrounding hospitals or at other care facilities. The Prestige Hotel also housed 41 relocated individuals.

The care team set up a temporary team headquarters and spaces to make residents comfortable.

Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, thanked Interior Health staff and community partners for their dedication.

“More than 7,000 people in Kimberley were placed under evacuation alert during this year’s wildfire season. I want to thank the health-care workers, volunteers, and local businesses, whose hard work and generosity helped ensure that the move was safe and comfortable as possible for our residents and seniors. I’m sure they are happy to be home.”

Terri Domin, Acting Executive Director for East Kootenay, praised the hard work necessary for the smooth transition.

“I am so proud of the team and how they moved everyone safely and thought of everything – from meals to bathing programs, to arranging volunteers, to supporting non-IH clients – honestly everything,” said Domin.

The move home began at 8 a.m. on Wednesday morning. Everyone was settled and able to enjoy dinner that evening back in their homes.

Thank you to Manitoulin Transport for its donation of trucks and drivers during the move; the Prestige Hotel for accommodating the IH team and residents; and many other people and businesses for support including: Guy Ducette, who entertained relocated residents with an outdoor concert; Cranbrook’s Canadian 2 for 1 Pizza, which supplied free pizza; Alpine Toyota, who brought ice cream treats for staff; and all those who worked to ensure the comfort and safety of those impacted by this relocation.

Just Posted

Creston Valley Chamber of Commerce preparing for business awards gala

Be sure to check the Jan. 24 Creston Valley Advance for the first week of available ballots.

First meeting for Fire Hall Technical Building Advisory Committee

The full-day orientation will provide an overview of the previous process and seek input on opportunities to move forward.

Police get hot tip on cold case

Creston RCMP received 50 calls for assistance.

New maternity care clinic opens at hospital

The Maple Maternity Clinic expects to see approximately 50 clients per year.

Yellow Vest Rally held in Creston

“United we stand divided we fall.”

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read