Quebec police continue search for father, one day after missing girls found dead

Quebec police continue search for father, one day after missing girls found dead

Police have said the girls and their father were believed to have been in a car crash on Highway 20

Quebec provincial police continued to search Sunday for the father of two deceased girls who were the subject of an Amber Alert earlier this week.

The bodies of Norah and Romy Carpentier, aged 11 and 6, were found in a wooded area of a Quebec City suburb on Saturday.

Police searched overnight for the girls’ father, Martin Carpentier, 44, continuing into Sunday with authorities tightening the search on a wooded area in St-Apollinaire, Que.

“That’s our priority now, to locate him as soon as possible,” said Sgt. Ann Mathieu, a provincial police spokeswoman.

Autopsies are scheduled to determine the cause of death of the young girls and police were gathering evidence in the area the bodies were found.

They had been missing along with their father since Wednesday evening and their disappearance caught the attention of the entire province.

The Amber Alert was lifted with the grim discovery Saturday, but police say locating Martin Carpentier is the top priority and they believe he may still be in the area.

Martin Carpentier, 44, is shown in this undated police handout photo. Quebec provincial police continued to search Sunday for the father of two deceased girls who were the subject of an Amber Alert earlier this week. The bodies of Norah and Romy Carpentier, aged 11 and 6, were found in a wooded area of a Quebec City suburb on Saturday. Police searched overnight for the girls’ father, Martin Carpentier, 44, continuing into Sunday with authorities tightening the search on a wooded area in St-Apollinaire, Que. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO – Surete du Quebec

“We’re still asking residents to be vigilant, but the best way to help us is to take a look at their own properties,” Mathieu said.

“There is no one else better than them to notice something that is unusual on their own properties.”

READ MORE: Amber Alert for two Quebec girls cancelled after bodies found

Police have said the girls and their father were believed to have been in a car crash on Highway 20 in St-Apollinaire on Wednesday evening.

Investigators said the car was heading east on the highway when it skidded into the median, flipped over and landed on the shoulder on the opposite side of the highway.

But police did not find any occupants inside the car once they arrived.

An Amber Alert was issued for the girls Thursday afternoon, triggering an extensive police search began in the rural area, about 35 kilometres southeast of Quebec City.

On Sunday, provincial police asked local residents to steer clear of the search area, saying their presence in the area on Saturday evening while acting on a tip was hindering officers.

“We know their intentions are very good, but what happened yesterday just complicated the work of the police officers,” Mathieu said.

The discovery of the two girls Saturday led to an outpouring of condolences online.

Quebec Premier Francois Legault said that he, like all Quebecers, was “devastated” by the news.

“In particular, I’m thinking of the mother of Norah and Romy — and all their loved-ones,” he wrote on Twitter Saturday.

“All of Quebec is mourning with you today.”

Late Saturday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also tweeted about the young girls, writing that all Canadians were keeping the family in their thoughts.

“I’m devastated by the news coming out of Quebec today, an incomprehensible tragedy for any parent,” Trudeau wrote. “My heart breaks for the family and friends of Norah and Romy — I’m sending you my deepest condolences.”

Carpentier was last seen wearing a grey T-shirt and jeans when he was last seen. He is listed as being five-foot-ten and weighing 130 pounds.

Anyone who sees Carpentier or has any information on his whereabouts to immediately contact 911.

The Canadian Press


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.

missing personQuebec

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Andre Robert won $500,000 through a Lotto Extra ticket on Dec. 23, 2020. Photo: Jeanne d’Arc Allard
Creston resident wins $500k through Lotto ticket

“I was surprised. I wasn’t sure if it was true or not.”

Pioneer Arena is closing for the season. Photo: John Boivin
Castlegar’s Pioneer Arena and Nelson Civic Centre closing for season

RDCK is closing the ice at two of its arenas due to financial concerns related to COVID-19

A juvenile sturgeon in a B.C. rearing facility. The wild population in the Upper Columbia is estimated at 1,100 individuals, enhanced with roughly 5,500 hatchery fish. (file photo)
B.C.’s Upper Columbia sturgeon endure long battle with local extinction

Decades of monitoring and intervention is ongoing to save the prehistoric fish

Interior Health update. File photo.
86 new COVID-19 cases, two more deaths in Interior Health

The new deaths are from Heritage Square, a long-term care facility in Vernon

A Polyphemus cocoon. Photo: Ed McMackin
Out There: Wrapped Up for the Winter

“Probably, one of the most intricate works done for winter is completed by some species of moths that spend the winter in the pupa stage — the stage between larva and adult — enclosed in a protective covering.”

A scene from “Canada and the Gulf War: In their own words,” a video by The Memory Project, a program of Historica Canada, is shown in this undated illustration. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Historica Canada
New video marks Canada’s contributions to first Gulf War on 30th anniversary

Veterans Affairs Canada says around 4,500 Canadian military personnel served during the war

Williams Lake physician Dr. Ivan Scrooby and medical graduate student Vionarica Gusti hold up the COSMIC Bubble Helmet. Both are part of the non-profit organization COSMIC Medical which has come together to develop devices for treating patients with COVID-19. (Monica Lamb-Yorski photo - Williams Lake Tribune)
Group of B.C. doctors, engineers developing ‘bubble helmet’ for COVID-19 patients

The helmet could support several patients at once, says the group

A 17-year-old snowmobiler used his backcountry survival sense in preparation to spend the night on the mountain near 100 Mile House Saturday, Jan. 16, 2021 after getting lost. (South Cariboo Search and Rescue Facebook photo)
Teen praised for backcountry survival skills after getting lost in B.C.’s Cariboo mountains

“This young man did everything right after things went wrong.”

Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole holds a press conference on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa on December 10, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
No place for ‘far right’ in Conservative Party, Erin O’Toole says

O’Toole condemned the Capitol attack as ‘horrifying’ and sought to distance himself and the Tories from Trumpism

A passer by walks in High Park, in Toronto, Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021. This workweek will kick off with what’s fabled to be the most depressing day of the year, during one of the darkest eras in recent history. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young
‘Blue Monday’ getting you down? Exercise may be the cure, say experts

Many jurisdictions are tightening restrictions to curb soaring COVID-19 case counts

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

A health-care worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at a UHN COVID-19 vaccine clinic in Toronto on Thursday, January 7, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
COVID-19: Provinces work on revised plans as Pfizer-BioNTech shipments to slow down

Anita Anand said she understands and shares Canadians’ concerns about the drug company’s decision

Tourists take photographs outside the British Columbia Legislature in Victoria, B.C., on Friday August 26, 2011. A coalition of British Columbia tourism industry groups is urging the provincial government to not pursue plans to ban domestic travel to fight the spread of COVID-19. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. travel ban will harm struggling tourism sector, says industry coalition

B.C. government would have to show evidence a travel ban is necessary

(Phil McLachlan - Capital News)
‘Targeted’ shooting in Coquitlam leaves woman in hospital

The woman suffered non-life threatening injuries in what police believe to be a targeted shooting Saturday morning

Most Read