Fire destroys home on 16th Avenue, and other Creston Fire Rescue news

Web Lead

  • Oct. 29, 2012 12:00 p.m.

A hectic week for Creston Fire Rescue peaked Oct. 23 when a house on 16th Avenue North was razed.

The resident family escaped without harm from a blaze that was called in at about 6:20 a.m.

“Upon arrival of the fire department, flames were coming from several windows, threatening the house next door,” said deputy fire Chief Michael Moore. “Fire crews were able to control the fire quickly to prevent damage to the neighbouring homes and finally extinguished the blaze after approximately two hours.”

The cause of the blaze was determined to be accidental, with damage estimated at $350,000.

“The occupants were very fortunate to have been awoken,” Moore said in reference to smoke alarms not being installed due to recent renovations in the home. “Smoke alarms are the most important item in your home to ensure you get out alive.”

Donation collection efforts for the residents are underway and items can be dropped off at Sunset Seed on Canyon Street.

Other Creston Fire Rescue activity recently:

•Later, on the same day as the house fire, crews were called to help get out a trapped occupant of an elevator at Creston and District Community Complex.

•At about 7 a.m. on Oct. 24, fire personnel were summoned to a two-car collision on Canyon Street and Fifth Avenue. One occupant was transported to hospital by BC Ambulance with minor injuries while the driver of the other vehicle did not require assistance.

•On Oct. 25, at 3:30 a.m., firefighters were called to a possible structure fire on 10th Avenue North where smoke was visible in the home. They quickly determined the source of the smoke was an electrical fire on the furnace in the basement.

“This fire was detected very quickly from smoke alarms, keeping the damage very minimal,” Moore.

The damage was under $500.

•Moore credited a vigilant neighbour on Lower Wynndel Road for reporting a possible fire in a residence across the street. It was determined that the smoke was actually steam coming from the dryer vent on the home before firefighters arrived, however.

Moore recommends that as winter descends, residents should ensure furnaces and fireplaces are maintained and cleaned. They should be checked to ensure that combustible materials like storage boxes and clothing are not stored near baseboard heaters or other heating devices.

Smoke alarms should be tested and batteries replaced as necessary. Testing can be done by blowing out a lit candle and holding it near the detector.

“Your life may depend on it,” Moore said.

 

Just Posted

Increases in taxes, utilities lead to higher rents, businessman tells Creston Town Council

Local businessman and landlord Keith Goforth accused the Town of being unsupportive of business development.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

I do not appreciate having someone’s opinion shoved in my face.

Let there be peace

Let us show respect and love

Holiday season means more impaired drivers are on the road

It was another slow week for Creston RCMP members, who responded to… Continue reading

Committee for an Affordable Fire Hall ready to get to work

The public will be invited to submit their written ideas for “the top ten ways to get an affordable fire hall.”

VIDEO: Average Canadian food bill to rise by $348 in 2018

Atlantic Canada and B.C. will see the most increases for consumers

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

Accused B.C. drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

VIDEO: Researchers rely on drones to survey aftermath of B.C. wildfires

UBC researchers use drones to study the historic 2017 wildfires in B.C.’s Interior

AHUS patient Shantee Anaquod is home for Christmas

Less than a month after receiving first dose of $750K drug, 23 year old healthy enough to go home

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

This is second death linked to the Thomas fire, northwest of Los Angeles

Moose calves rescued in northern B.C. are ‘golden nuggets:’ researcher

Calves discovered near Prince George in late May. Mother had been killed by a car

Most Read