Drinking drivers beware

Web Lead

  • Apr. 5, 2017 10:00 a.m.

Drinking drivers beware—a new RCMP constable in Creston has a sixth sense when it comes to finding them, Sgt. Dave Nassichuk said on Tuesday.

Several more were taken off the road in the last week thanks to his determination, and were among the 75 files RCMP members worked on from March 28-April 3.

March 28

• Police could not locate the source of gunshots reported near Devon Road.

• A fire extinguisher was discharged and walls were spray painted during a break-in to a Canyon Street business that is undergoing renovation.

• A vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed on Highway 3 near Kitchener was not located.

• A female with a previous history of drinking and driving faces criminal charges after being found with a blood alcohol content of more than .08 at 4 p.m. in Erickson on Highway 3. She had an instant roadside prohibition last year and has a previous Criminal Code conviction for the same offense.

• Police are investigating a domestic assault on Cook Street.

March 29

• A reported injured deer on Highway 3 near Lakeview-Arrow Creek Road was referred to Conservation Officers.

• A 66-year-old male died suddenly in his Boswell home.

• A reported dead dog on Lakeview-Arrow Creek Road was found to be a dead goat.

• An elderly male driver reported to be running red lights as he headed to Northwest Boulevard will be recommended for retesting.

• A male was arrested and later released on a promise to appear in court after assaulting his 73-year-old mother. She sustained minor injuries. Alcohol was a factor.

• Four youths who pitched a tent near the tracks off of Cook Street were not located. The tent was removed.

• A wallet with cash was turned into police and returned to its owner on the same day.

• A male driving while prohibited was stopped in Yahk on Highway 3. His vehicle was impounded for seven days and criminal charges are pending.

• A male driving without lights on 36th Avenue North in Erickson was found to have consumed alcohol. He was given a 90-day driving prohibition and his vehicle was impounded for 30 days.

• A male driving erratically on Highway 21 attempted to evade police but was unsuccessful. He received a 90-day driving prohibition for having consumed alcohol and the vehicle was impounded for 30 days.

• A minor who was found drinking beer on Canyon Street earned two $230 tickets for possessing alcohol and consuming alcohol.

March 31

• An Alberta driver who had consumed alcohol was stopped on Cedar Street and was issued a three-day driving prohibition and his vehicle was impounded for three days.

• No charges were considered appropriate after police attended to a family disturbance in Wynndel.

• A driver who was directed around a rockslide that was being cleaned up on Highway 3 near Topaz Creek was caught in a cloud of dust and rear-ended a pickup truck. The driver and two children sustained minor injuries.

April 1

• A driver who made two turns without signaling was stopped and found to have consumed alcohol. He received a 3-day driving prohibition.

• A 94-year-old male shoplifter has been banned from a Northwest Boulevard store.

• A 62-year-old female died suddenly in her Wynndel home.

• Police are investigating damage to a shed on Murdoch Street.

• Patrols on 24th Avenue North will be stepped up after complaints of speeding.

• A neighbours’ dispute on 35th Avenue North about a dog required police attention.

• Four males attempting to break into a truck on 6th Avenue North ran off when confronted by a resident.

April 2

• Police assisted with traffic control while the fire department fought a grass fire on Highway 21 North.

• Police assisted a Conservation Officer in finding and dispatching an injured deer on 36th Avenue North.

April 3

• Two tenants involved in a dispute about a laundry room on Crawford Street agreed to clean up their act.

• Cash was turned in to the police station and the owner can claim it by providing appropriate information.

• Police were called to Clement Road in Kitchener about a disturbance and left when the perpetrator agreed to go back inside his house. They were called back a short time later and the male was arrested for uttering threats. He was later released on a promise to appear in court.