A man wears a protective facemask as he walks on the outskirts of the Forbidden City at a New Year installation in Beijing. (Nicolas Asfouri | AFP | Getty Images)

Crosswinds hold up chartered flight taking Canadians from Wuhan

Ottawa says 373 people have asked for help to leave the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak

More than 200 Canadians due to be evacuated from the Chinese city of Wuhan should continue making their way to the airport if they are already on their way, even though their flight out of the centre of the new coronavirus outbreak has been delayed another day, Canada’s foreign affairs minister said Wednesday.

The Canadians were scheduled to fly out of China on a government-chartered plane early Thursday morning local time, but Francois-Philippe Champagne said crosswinds kept the plane from leaving Hanoi, Vietnam, where it and its crew have been waiting. It missed the narrow period each day that China has allowed for international evacuations out of the country.

“We’ve missed the window by about four hours due to winds,” Champagne said during a brief update on Parliament Hill.

“The Chinese authorities to my knowledge have not allowed any country to evacuate their people in the daytime because they’re using the airspace in the daytime to bring food and medical supplies. So all of this happens in the nighttime.”

While that meant the evacuation flight would be delayed by about 21 hours, Champagne said anyone already headed to the airport should continue to ensure they could get through the numerous “control points” that have been set up in Wuhan and arrive on time. China has all but locked down the city where the new coronavirus was first detected to try to keep it from spreading.

At the same time, Champagne encouraged Canadians anywhere in China on non-essential business to leave on commercial flights “while they remain available,” noting the situation on the ground has been changing by the day.

More than 500 people have died and tens of thousands have been infected, the vast majority in China but increasingly outside the country as well, since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus known as 2019-nCoV last month.

WATCH: Presumptive case of new coronavirus in B.C.

News of the delayed evacuation flight came as the government was also reaching out to 251 Canadians stranded aboard a cruise ship in Japan. The Japanese government quarantined the vessel after a confirmed case of coronavirus was discovered on board.

“We have our mission in Tokyo, which has been in touch with the Canadians passengers to offer them consular assistance,” Champagne said. “And we will look to the cruise line, in this case, to repatriate those Canadians when the quarantine … is finished.”

Champagne also said the government is still weighing its options for taking more Canadians out of Wuhan once the first flight has left, including whether it should send a second plane or can secure enough space on flights organized by the U.S. and other allies.

The delayed evacuation flight was to carry 211 Canadians out of Wuhan, but Champagne said 373 people had asked the government for assistance in leaving the city.

ALSO READ: Why do people get xenophobic when diseases like coronavirus hit?

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

First presumptive case of coronavirus identified in the Interior Health region

The woman, in her 30s, travelled from Shanghai and lives in the interior

Construction on Castlegar cannabis facility to start soon

Craft cannabis park will be first of its kind in Canada.

RCMP respond to 65 calls over past week

By Lorne Eckersley Creston RCMP responded to 65 calls for assistance from… Continue reading

Music students, teachers, set to perform

Pictured above: CVMTA teacher Anita Stushnoff will be among the performers at… Continue reading

Fabric artist takes ‘slow clothing’ to a new level

Pictured above: Fabric artist Anne Fetterly and Bruce McFarlane. Lorne Eckersley photo… Continue reading

VIDEO: Ottawa wants quick, peaceful resolution to pipeline protests, Trudeau says

The protests have manifested themselves as blockades on different rail lines across the country

Wet’suwet’en and B.C. government have been talking Aboriginal title for a year

Coastal GasLink says it has agreements with all 20 elected First Nations councils along the 670-kilometre route

B.C. budget expected to stay the course as economic growth moderates

Finance minister said ICBC costs have affected budget

Canadian standards for coronavirus protection to be reviewed, health agency says

The protocols set out how health workers should protect themselves and their patients

Monday marks one-year anniversary of man missing from Langley

42-year-old B.C. man, Searl Smith, was last seen leaving Langley Memorial Hospital on Feb. 17, 2019

BC Ferries sailings filling up Family Day Monday

More than 20 sailings added between Swartz Bay and Tsawwassen for long weekend

Amtrak warns of delays as railways from Seattle to B.C. blocked by Wet’suwet’en supporters

Coastal GasLink said it’s signed benefits agreements with all 20 elected band councils along pipeline route

Federal emergency group meets on pipeline protests as rail blockades continue

There’s mounting political pressure for Trudeau to put an end to the blockades

VIDEO: Minister reports ‘modest progress’ after blockade talks with First Nation

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs say Coastal GasLink does not have authority to go through their lands

Most Read