(File photo)

B.C. man cleared of terror charges is security risk: RCMP officer

Othman Hamdan was charged in 2015 over Facebook posts in which he supported Islamic State militant

The man acquitted of terror charges in a B.C. court was no “couch jihadist” and was clearly becoming radicalized, an officer in the RCMP’s national security division says.

Const. Terak Mokdad told an immigration admissiblity hearing on Monday that Othman Hamdan is a security risk in Canada and should be deported.

READ MORE: B.C. man cleared of terror charges sues provincial, federal governments

Hamdan is a Jordanian national whose 85 Facebook posts related to the Islamic State led to his arrest in 2015, but a B.C. Supreme Court judge later ruled the posts did not constitute terrorism.

Mokdad told the Immigration Refugee Board hearing Hamdan’s case that he translated Arabic posts clearly showing the man was becoming radicalized.

The Mountie says that he wrote two reports related to Hamdan’s case, but they were not admitted as evidence at his previous trial.

After Hamdan was acquitted last year, he was detained by the Canadian Border Services Agency while he awaited a hearing on his admissiblity to stay in Canada.

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Police deal with domestic disputes

Creston RCMP responded to 79 calls for service, several for domestic disputes,… Continue reading

Lower Kootenay Band partners in adventure tourism proposal

An application to create an adventure tourism tenure on the east side of Kootenay lake south of the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy includes participation by the Lower Kootenay Band.

In response to Lou Varela leaving

It all flows downhill.

Thank you

Thank you to the TOC for working quickly to negotiate the property transfer and to the Regional District for the support and partnership that makes ownership viable.

ASC approves their work plan and reviews spatial analysis

FireWise Consulting Ltd. provided an overview of two components for the ASC to consider.

Toronto van attack suspect faces 10 counts of first-degree murder

The suspect in the Toronto van attack that killed 10 people and injured 15 others on Monday is a 25-year-old man named Alek Minassian

Issues split Trump and Macron, handshakes and kisses aside

Donald Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron professed a sunny, best-friends relationship

How hospitals prepare for mass-casualty incidents

Code Orange alerts explained following the Toronto van attack

Jury to deliberate after Cosby painted as predator

A jury of seven men and five women are to decide actor Bill Cosby’s fate

Memorial to victims of Toronto van attack continues to grow

The subway station where a van was used to run down pedestrians has reopened in Toronto

Small aircraft touches down on Calgary street

The twin-engine plane was apparently short on fuel forcing an emergency landing

B.C.’s living wage increase curbed due to MSP cuts, child care subsidy: report

Living wage varies between $16.51 in north central B.C. to $20.91 in Metro Vancouver

Doctor sees healing power in psychedelic plant as Peru investigates death of B.C. man

Peru’s attorney general has ordered the arrest of two suspects in the killing of 41-year-old Sebastian Woodroffe

Toronto police officer ‘gave himself the space and time’ in van attack

Footage shows officer standing up, turning off his siren and talking clearly to the suspect

Most Read