MLA Michelle Mungall welcomes disaster relief

Web Lead

Michelle Mungall can’t be at her constituency office in Nelson during the election campaign but the Nelson-Creston MLA says a staff member will remain on duty to help residents with flood-related issues.

Mungall said last week that she supports the provincial government’s decision to offer Disaster Financial Assistance to Central and East Kootenay residents who have had flood damage to their properties.

“I have briefed him (her staff member) on the application process so he is ready to help anyone who asks,” she said. “I’m very glad that the government realizes that we are going to need this in our area.”

DFA is available to homeowners, residential tenants, small business owners, farmers, charitable organizations and local government bodies that were unable to obtain insurance to cover these disaster-related losses, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure announced last week.

Applications from within the RDCK and RDEK — including municipalities — areas must be submitted to Emergency Management BC by June 25. On-line applications can be made at

Applicants should be aware of the following:

• Financial assistance is provided for each accepted claim at 80% of the amount of total eligible damage that exceeds $1,000, to a maximum claim of $300,000.

• Claims may be made in more than one category (e.g., homeowner and farm owner).

• A homeowner or residential tenant must show that the home is their principal residence.

• Seasonal or recreational properties, hot tubs, patios, pools, garden tools, landscaping, luxury items (like jewelry, fur coats and collectibles), and recreational items (like bicycles) are not eligible for assistance.

• Small business owners and farm owners must demonstrate it is their primary source of income. Owners of damaged rental property must apply and qualify as a small business.

• Charitable organizations must provide a benefit of service to the community at large.

Mungall invites constituents who want help to call her office toll-free at 1-877-388-4498.