5 — Prince Charles Secondary School graduate Sarah Kapoor was ready to take a big leap on Nov. 7: The Bad Mother, a feature film that she wrote and stars in was hitting the big screen at the Hamilton Film Festival. She promised the film would have its day in Creston.
12 — Plans for a new wetland interpretive centre to replace the current facility in Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area marsh were moving forward, according to committee chair and Regional District of Central Kootenay Area C director Larry Binks. The mission of a new interpretive centre needs “to promote knowledge and foster appreciation of Columbia Basin history, Ktunaxa culture teachings and wetland ecology.”
19 — Not long after Rev. Paula Ashby had accepted a call to become the Trinity United Church’s pastor, she was sitting in a provincial church workshop and found out the church was on fire. She was offered the choice of turning down the position, but didn’t even consider not taking the job.
“Maybe it’s why I’m here, to bring my sheep back into the fold,” she said. “We are working together and developing trust — we are all in this together.”
•Major renovations are in store for the Creston Valley Hospital’s emergency room, with a tender for construction services released Nov. 12, said the Interior Health Authority in a press release. The cost of the project is expected to total about $650,000, made possible by bequeathals from the estates of Jessie Julia Hopper, Don and Dariel Anne Korczynski, and Blanche Oleskiw.
26 — The Krafty Kronys started a new chapter in their goal of fundraising for the Therapeutic Activation Program for Seniors: With a new home in the basement of Creston Card and Stationery, the group was set to keep on knitting, sewing and crafting in a permanent location, and celebrated with a reception for owner Mike Poznikoff and staff on Nov. 19.
•Members of the Blossom Valley Singers were thrilled to salvage the vast majority of the group’s music collection and costumes from the basement of the Trinity United Church on Nov. 19. The community choir had about $10,000 of music stored in the church, but its fate was uncertain following a Sept. 22 fire that left a large hole in the roof, exposing the interior to the elements. The only music lost was in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet.